Monday 6 September 2010

September 6

Hello there... I'm sure you've missed me.  :o)

The last few days have been interesting.  Saturday was spent roaming about Kentish Town trying to buy supplies for the house and running other errands. I bought a mattress to fit my inherited IKEA bedframe.  However, it turns out that IKEA makes custom sized furniture, so my mattress is a standard size 4 x 6 (or something to that effect) double with an odd-sized bedframe.  There are a few inches on either side of the mattress, but it doesn't matter.

I went to the movies down in Brixton.  The theaters are quite small compared to the US and the chairs are much more comfortable.  I was comfortably close to the screen so I didn't have to wear my glasses.  I saw Inception and I was pretty impressed.

Sunday was spent lounging around the house, a little bit of internet church, and then Courtney made a mini, early Thanksgiving Dinner to show her UK friends how we Americans get down.  So, I spent the rest of the evening eating and hanging out with Courtney and her friends.

Today was most interesting because I ventured back to Oxford Circus in search of Primark.  I needed bedding and other items for my room and Primark was the most cost effective and stylish way to accomplish this task.  I took the right bus to Oxford, but then walked in the wrong direction for quite a ways.  Finally, I asked someone to point me in the right direction and then I kept asking people along the way until I found it.  Once I got in there, I had to interpret the English to figure out what the heck I was trying to buy.  For example, you can't buy a comforter set for your bed.  It's a duvet set that comes with a duvet cover.  I didn't know what a duvet was, so I obviously didn't understand the reference to the duvet cover.  So, a duvet is the cushion/blanket that you buy separately and then buy duvet covers to go over it.  Anywho, after several questions, the sales guy said, "you're not from here, are you?"  I wanted to say "DOUBLE DUH!!!", but I settled for a smile and "No, I'm not."

So, I'm loaded down with all this stuff and tasked with trying to figure out how to get back to the bus while it was raining.  Once I finally get there, I get on the bus going in the wrong direction!!!  I got on the bus on the opposite side of the street in which I arrived, but apparently that wasn't the right thing to do.  Anywho, I took a tour of the city according to the C2 bus route and finally made it back home.  On the way home I saw a Whole Foods Market which I went back and visited after I put all my other bags down.  It is super duper expensive. I bought two cooked chicken breasts from the deli that cost 7.90 GBP!!  What the heck?  Anywho, that's the first and last time that I'll be doing that.

Goodnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment