Thursday 2 September 2010

Day 1: September 1

 As in the days leading up to my departure, I'd smile to myself when I saw a reference to London, now I quietly tell myself, "I live in London". 

So, I left Jacksonville, Florida on September 1 headed to the Orlando International Airport.  Before reaching the airport I stopped at the Mall at Millenia to enjoy a date with Mrs. Fields cookies (which reminds me.. they're still waiting to be eaten!).  While checking in for my flight, I was asked if I'd be willing to volunteer to take a flight leaving out the following day in exchange for a free hotel stay and a free roundtrip ticket to wherever Virgin Atlantic flies.  I willingly obliged, but was not needed.  I flew on Virgin Atlantic because for once, they were cheaper, and they offer a direct flight.  However, I was not impressed with the lack of baggage Economy Travelers are allowed to check and carry aboard.  Additionally, there was not much leg room. 

I flew into Gatwick with two big rolling bags (thank God for bags with four wheels) and a small rolling carry-on from Brookstone.  Passing through customs was quick since I was the only non-UK or EU traveler that had arrived.  I almost didn't get to pass through because I didn't bring the letter showing that I'd been accepted into school.  Luckily I had a documented that showed that I registered and that was sufficient to let me pass.  After customs, it was time to get the luggage.  It was quite difficult getting the bags off of the conveyor, especially when people won't move over so you can get your luggage.  I was given the "stink-eye" by the man that I pummelled with my luggage and an uninvolved bystander.  I apologized but thought to myself "he should have given me more space".  I finally figured out how to roll all three bags around to catch the Gatwick Express to Victoria Station.  When I arrived, Courtney was there waiting.  She took one of the bags and we rode the bus... home.  Ah... London is my home.  Today was a beautiful day to travel to London.  It was a sunny day in the upper 60s.

After dropping off the bags, we went for lunch and to get the house keys copied.  When we returned home, she went her way and I took a shower and then took a nap.  I forced myself to wake up so that I can get into a normal sleep pattern.  I roamed around Camden town running errands like establishing my cell phone, buying an Oyster card, and getting a wall socket converter. 

This is the beginning of my new life.  My subsequent posts won't be so detailed about my every day activities, but I wanted to remember that my new life got off to a great start.

I want to see what happens when I edit a post.  Does the date of the post change?

No comments:

Post a Comment