Tuesday 16 November 2010

Supplementary Resources -- Trying to Improve

I got my grade back today from my first assignment and it was just okay.  The feedback said that I should use other resources to foster and help demonstrate my understanding.  So, I just finished reading two articles on XML.  I read "XML and the Second-Generation Web" and then I read "What is RDF".  I want to get a better understanding of Web 2.0 technologies.  So, from what I understand, XML is a much more standard and flexible language to tell the World Wide Web what we want it to do.  With html, the www, only recognized the tags like paragraph, heading, etc., but not the data that was in between the tags.  Therefore, html is only used as a presentation language.  It was not intended to be able to manipulate the data between the tags.  Additionally, the tags are very general and therefore make it difficult for pages to link together based on the page's content.  XML provides tags that are more content specific thus allowing the pages and other computers a greater opportunity to show commonalities and understand/recognize the language.  XML can be read by both computers and humans because it consists of regular text. 

Additionally, XML would speed up the browsing experience by allowing web pages to rely on java programs instead of the server to sort and process information.  XML also provides for a standard for metadata.  RDF focuses on the actual data/knowledge itself and provides a way for world wide web to recognize pages that have similar content.  The RDF metadata scheme uses a process kind of like the "join" clause in SQL database queries to alert the web that web pages have commonalities.

No comments:

Post a Comment